Melbourne Forum gives you access to the highest level of expertise and real-world lessons that our conversation leaders – all with a reputation for excellence – bring to the table under the Chatham House rule.
We are committed to providing a platform for, and the increased visibility of, diverse voices.
With varied formats (in-person or virtual; conversation leader or members engaging with each other; learning from experts or exploring viewpoints) there are multiple ways to participate.
Explore our upcoming program of events and forums.
- This event has passed.
Underground Mega Structures – Saviours or Death Traps?
MF Digital with Prof Arnold Dix
June 20, 2022 @ 12:30 pm - 2:00 pmFree – $20.00
Humankind has always looked to the underground as a savior to its most pressing perils.
Professor Dix argues that solutions to many of the worlds most urgent problems today can be found in intelligent development underground. Drawing on examples as diverse as Hitlers secret city beneath the Eagle mountains to the nuclear shelters embedded within many European metros – dare to explore some options that lie beneath our feet.
Professor Dix will also discuss some key issues in subterranean mega structures such as cyber security risks, climate change challenges and opportunities and disasters underground (including the Burnley Tunnel Disaster in 2007 where Professor Dix acted as “special expert investigator” for the Coroner – which was recently covered in a documentary titled “Code 1: Minute by Minute, Death in the Tunnel, Streaming on 7Plus).
Professor Dix credentials are outstanding:
· President elect of the International Tunnelling and Underground Space Association (ITA), the leading international organization promoting the use of Tunnels and Underground Space;
· Committee Member: National Fire Protection Association NFPA 502 & NFPA 130;
· Australian Government Appointee: World Road Association PIARC Road Tunnels:
o Tunnel Risk management and Lessons Learnt from Tunnel Disasters;
o Tunnel Fire Safety – Fixed Fire Fighting Systems;
o Tunnel air quality and Environment;
· Member: Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration;
· Member: Victorian Bar;
· Visiting Professor of Engineering: Tokyo City University;
· Adjunct Professor of Engineering QUT 2005 – 2010;
· Associate Professor Disasters (Tunnels) – School of Medicine (Science, Mental Health Disaster Response and Resilience, Queensland University of Technology (2008 – 2012+).
Some projects (which can be disclosed) using his scientific/engineering expertise include:
· His role as “special expert investigator” for the Coroner in the Burnley Tunnel Disaster (2007 -2012);
· Peer reviewer or advisor to all major underground projects in Victoria ( Melbourne Metro, Airport link, NE Link etc etc;
· Auditor Riyhad Metro Lines 1 & 2 ( current);
· Refurbishment advisor Transport Infrastructure Ireland ( Dublin port and Jack Lynch tunnels);
· Road tunnel Safety Standards Review – China;
· Project lead Fidic/ITA contract for underground works ( adopted by world bank);
· Recipient of 2022 NAtional Fire Protection Association of the United States award for contribution to fire safety in road and rail tunnels;
· Guinness book of records chief judge – extreme underground records; and
· Flower grower, welder and truck driver.
Please login to RSVP
Please login to book tickets